Friday, March 19, 2010

Church Life: Assembling or Shopping?

Going to church this Sunday? Yeah? Good for you. Why are you going?

  • To worship
  • To hear God's word preached
  • To see my friends
  • To hear some good music
  • To assemble, after all, Hebrews 10:25 says to not forsake assembling with each other.

Assembling... Assembling...

I think that for the most part, we don't assemble anymore. I think we shop. I think this because of the reasons one might hear from people who, instead of going to church, are leaving it.

  • Doctrine is so dull.
  • Preaching is so dull.
  • The music is so dull.
  • I'm not being fed.
  • I can't thrive.
  • They don't have puppet shows for the kids.
  • I hate quail: it tastes like chicken.
  • Manna again? how boring, you'd think God could do something more spectacular than that.

I think in large part we have no more commitment to our local church than we do to the place where we buy our milk and eggs: "I'm going to shop here today, and I'll leave the second I find a better deal, or something more convenient, or better customer service."

Going to church this Sunday? Yeah? Good for you. Why are you going?

No comments: