- To worship
- To hear God's word preached
- To see my friends
- To hear some good music
- To assemble, after all, Hebrews 10:25 says to not forsake assembling with each other.
I think that for the most part, we don't assemble anymore. I think we shop. I think this because of the reasons one might hear from people who, instead of going to church, are leaving it.
- Doctrine is so dull.
- Preaching is so dull.
- The music is so dull.
- I'm not being fed.
- I can't thrive.
- They don't have puppet shows for the kids.
- I hate quail: it tastes like chicken.
- Manna again? how boring, you'd think God could do something more spectacular than that.
I think in large part we have no more commitment to our local church than we do to the place where we buy our milk and eggs: "I'm going to shop here today, and I'll leave the second I find a better deal, or something more convenient, or better customer service."
Going to church this Sunday? Yeah? Good for you. Why are you going?